Teaching and mentoring
Teaching others, formally and informally, is an important means by which Northwestern graduate students and postdoctoral fellows share knowledge and engage their communities. In addition to the pedagogic and methodological training graduate students and postdoctoral fellows receive from their faculty mentors, the University offers programs and resources to help them develop their teaching skills.
The Searle Center for Advancing Learning and Teaching
Northwestern’s Searle Center for Advancing Learning and Teachingoffers an array of programs and resources designed to help for teaching assistants and instructors to develop skills and connect with instructors across disciplines:
- New Teaching Assistant Conference
- Teaching Certificate Program
- CIRTL at Northwestern
- Graduate Teaching Fellowship
- WCAS/TGS Graduate Teaching Fellowship
- Teaching Assistance & Consultation Services
See their calendar to learn about upcoming events.
Mentoring opportunities and training
- The Graduate School Diversity Peer Mentoring Program pairs first-year diverse PhD students with diverse PhD students who are more advanced in their academic programs and provides training for both mentors and mentees.
- Summer Research Mentoring Training prepares graduate students and postdoctoral fellows to effectively mentor their undergraduate summer researchers
Leadership and collaboration
Being able to lead and collaborate with others are essential for success in all career fields. Northwestern graduate students and postdoctoral fellows develop their leadership and collaboration capacities through teaching and TAing; organizing conferences, colloquia, and research clubs; and taking an active role in student and postdoc organizations. Northwestern also provides formal opportunities for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows to develop their leadership and collaboration capacities.
Center for Civic Engagement
Northwestern's Center for Civic Engagement offers programs specifically for graduate students designed to help them develop as engaged researchers and citizens.
Center for Leadership
Northwestern's Center for Leadership offers programs and resources that help PhD students develop as leaders.