Since Northwestern University is centrally located in both Chicago and Evanston, the housing opportunities are excellent. Below are some of the options available to students and postdocs.
Engelhart Hall, located at 1915 Maple Avenue in Evanston, Engelhart Hall is a University-operated residence hall for graduate students. The 250-unit hall has air-conditioned studio and one- and two-bedroom apartments. Apartments are furnished—except for linens, kitchen utensils, dishes, and silverware. Rates include all utilities. Garage rentals are not included. Students who wish to obtain housing in Engelhart Hall should contact Graduate Housing and request a housing application.
Garrett Place Apartments are located at 600 Haven Street, Evanston. TGS is working with the Graduate Housing to offer priority applications for students who are parents. This building is newly-renovated with an abundance of features, its proximity to campus amongst the most notable. This residence offers affordable housing options to graduate students and their families.
The Off-Campus Life website contains the information and resources available to students living off-campus—from apartment hunting to being a good neighbor within the Chicago/Evanston and Northwestern communities.
Some students rent apartments in Chicago and the neighboring suburbs. Since the campus is centrally located, public transportation is excellent and easily accessible. It is highly advised that students who wish to rent apartments to visit the area and make living arrangements before beginning their graduate work.
Additional off-campus resources
For students on both the Evanston and Chicago campuses, links to local apartment finding services can be found below and on the Off-Campus Life website. Please note that the following housing resources are not endorsed by TGS or Northwestern:
- Places4Students: Northwestern's recommended website
- Apartmentlist.com: A free search engine listing affordable housing.
- CirTru: Free resource
- Craigslist Chicago: Find apartments, sublets, anything!
- Extended Stay (Chicago) Oakwood (Evanston) (short term rentals)
- Neighbor: A resource for finding affordable storage.
- Rent.com: Free resource
- Rentbits: Free resource
- RentCafe: Free resource
- RentLingo : Free resource
- Sabbatical Homes
- Student-Space: An apartment finder for students. This is a free resource.
- The Apartment Guide: Free resource
- The Apartment People: Free resource
- The Homestead (Evanston)
- The Hotel Orrington (Evanston)
Housing and renting basics for international families
- Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants: See pages 30-34
- Northwestern Office of International Student and Scholar Services Housing Website
Moving discounts with Wildcard
These businesses offer moving discounts through the Wildcard Advantage program. Hundreds of businesses participate in the free Wildcard Advantage program, which provides special discounts and offers for Northwestern-issued ID Card holders. View the full list of participating businesses here.