Key dates for incoming students are listed below. In addition, academic calendar dates are available online.
March 15: The I-20/DS-2019 forms will be available for all incoming international students to request an F-1 Visa through the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (OISS). You will submit your documents through the new OISS Portal. To ensure you receive your F-1 or J-1 Visa stamp in time, please visit the International Office’s website for full details and deadline.
- The deadline to submit health records, including proof of immunizations, for fall entrants.
- Open enrollment for the Northwestern Student Health Insurance Plan (NU-SHIP) runs from July 1-October 1. NU-SHIP provides coverage September 1 through August 31, 2020. International students (students with an F-1 or J-1 U.S. Visa) are required to maintain enrollment in NU-SHIP for the entire time they are at Northwestern. Students who intend to use NU-SHIP are encouraged to confirm their enrollment via the online form in CAESAR by the last week of August to ensure timely access to benefits. Students also may enroll dependents during the open enrollment period (July 1- October 1), after they have confirmed their own NU-SHIP enrollment in CAESAR.
- New students can obtain a Wildcard/student ID card. All students are encouraged to submit their ID photo online. Please review the guidelines and upload your photo on our Wildcard Photo Submission page. You must present a government-issued photo ID (e.g., your driver’s license, state photo ID, or current passport) in order to claim your card.
- Full-time enrolled students can pick up their U-Pass. Passes are not active until the first day of classes for new students.
September 4-6: The Office of International Student and Scholar Services’ Orientation.
September 6: Deadline for official transcripts to be received by TGS.
September 9-13: Versant (English proficiency) Testing for international PhD/MFA students
- Students can begin to register for classes at 9 AM
- New TA Conference 9 AM – 2:30 PM at the Technological Institute
September 20: The Graduate School’s New Student Orientation
- Classes begin
- For students receiving a stipend or being paid: Students can enter their Direct Deposit details on or after September 24 in myHR.
September 30: The last day to add a class, change a section, or change the grading basis for fall quarter. (No reductions are made to bills for dropped or swapped classes after this date. Last day for full tuition refund.)
Late September: Deadline to complete Sections 1 & 2 of E-Verify.
October 10: First invoice for the academic year is generated. You will receive an email to review your account and pay any balance due by November 1. Remember even if you are receiving a stipend and full tuition support, you will still need to pay the Activity Fee.