student in the lab


An assistantship provides a monthly stipend and is generally accompanied by a tuition scholarship. Students who receive an assistantship may either serve as a graduate assistant or research assistant. Academic programs or faculty principal investigators in conjunction with The Graduate School (TGS) select graduate students to serve on assistantships.

The duration of an assistantship may range from a single academic term to a full year. We expect students to serve between 15 to 20 hours per week.

During the term of an assistantship, students are expected to continue making academic progress towards their degree.

Graduate/teaching assistants may:

  • Serve as graders for a course.
  • Function in an administrative capacity.
  • Lead discussion sections as part of a larger lecture course
  • Instruct their own class sections.

Research assistants may:

  • Work in a lab.
  • Conduct other types of investigative research for their primary investigator.

Interdisciplinary Graduate Assistantships

Interdisciplinary Graduate Assistantships are opportunities which are funded outside of a student’s standard 20 quarters.  They offer the chance for students to obtain professional development experience and to explore special interests in other areas. Students are eligible to be funded on these assistantships in their 2nd through 5th year, and students from humanities and social sciences programs may “bank” up to 4 quarters of University funding to be used during their sixth year at the discretion of their home school.  The programs funded by TGS include:

 The programs funded by TGS include:

Service Opportunities

The following service opportunities provide a small amount of funding in addition to students’ regular funding. It is expected that students who undertake these opportunities are already receiving funding as a fellow, graduate assistant or research assistant.


Every graduate assistant in TGS must meet the eligibility requirements set for all students receiving financial aid.  Please review the Regulations Governing Recipients of University Assistance for more information.