Administrative Board and Partners
The Administrative Board of The Graduate School (TGS) acts as the executive arm of the graduate faculty. The board, which advises the Dean in matters of policy and curriculum, is composed of graduate faculty members representing the schools whose programs are in the purview of TGS, ex officio members, members appointed by the Dean, and TGS administration.
Administrative Board members
- Michael Allen, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences Division II, History
- Yarrow Axford, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences Division I, Earth and Planetary Science
- Ulf Bockenholt, Kellogg School of Management
- César Braga-Pinto, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences
- Linda Broadbelt, McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science
- Coleen Coleman, School of Education and Social Policy
- Ryan Dohoney, Bienen School of Music
- David Dranove, Kellogg School of Management
- Jesús Escobar, Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences Division III, Art History
- Cara Gottardi, Feinberg School of Medicine, Medicine, Pulmonary Division
- Justin Notestein, McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science, Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Angela Ray, School of Communication
- Xuemao Wang, University Libraries
The Graduate School (TGS) provides programming and graduate assistantship support that spans across all of our schools, including student associations, professional development, and Catalyst grants. In addition to this programming, which is described in greater detail throughout our website, TGS is pleased to acknowledge an extensive array of centers, institutes, and programs with whom it partners to support additional programming for the TGS student body.
- Buffett Institute for Global Affairs: The program in Comparative-Historical Social Science (CHSS) supports training for graduate students interested in comparative and historical research.
- Center for Civic Engagement (CCE): Promotes lifelong commitment to active citizenship and social responsibility, supporting community and volunteer service for students, faculty, staff, and alumni. TGS partners with CCE to offer the Graduate Engagement Opportunities program.
- Chicago Field Studies Internships: Connects students with opportunities in the Chicago area.
- Collaborative Learning and Integrated Mentoring in the Biosciences (CLIMB) Program: This professional development program helps Bioscience PhD students develop skills for collaborating, communicating, and conducting research across disciplines.
- Colloquium on Ethnicity and Diaspora: This community-building series of panel discussions, book readings, graduate student workshops, and guest lectures addresses the inter-relatedness of ethnic groups and links the various spaces across campus where studies of ethnicity and diaspora take place.
- English Language Programs: Provides international students with the opportunity to improve their language skills and receive support services and programming, which includes the Intercultural Guides program.
- Institute for Policy Research: Stimulates and supports social science research at Northwestern. TGS provides research assistance funding to the Institute to enable independent research and faculty/student collaboration.
- International Institute for Nanotechnology (IIN): An umbrella organization for nanotechnology research. TGS partners with IIN to offer the Ryan Fellowship.
- Materials Research Science and Engineering Center (MRSEC): Develops and supports collaborative, interdisciplinary research and education in the science and engineering of nano-scale multifunctional material structures.
- Office of Fellowships: Provides assistance in securing funds and applying for grants and fellowships.
- Searle Center for Advancing Learning and Teaching: Provides support services for teaching, including training, conferences, and workshops. Graduate students also provide peer mentoring for other students serving as TAs.
- The Writing Place: Helps students develop their writing skills through coursework, seminars, workshops, tutoring, and online resources. Dissertation Boot Camp is offered in partnership with the Writing Place.