Skip to main content

Transportation and U-Pass

Getting around

Northwestern has a service to help you navigate campus safely: the Northwestern Help App's Safewalk feature.

In addition to walking or driving to Northwestern, there are several transportation options available to TGS students:

Alternative transportation

Below are Alternative Transportation brochures which include information on bus routes, biking to work, car-sharing programs and more. You’ll also find a chart to help you calculate your commuting costs and decide which option might be best for you on the back of each brochure. These brochures may be useful for new and current students as well as visitors to campus.

Download the Evanston Alternative Transportation brochure and the Chicago Alternative Transportation brochure


The Graduate School (TGS) and Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) provide the CTA University Pass (U-Pass) to full-time graduate students through a quarterly TGS Activity Fee. The CTA U-Pass program uses fare cards called Ventra, a contactless payment system that serves as a U-Pass. Benefits of this system include:

Note: New students must submit a valid photo to the Wildcard Office in order to receive a U-Pass. New students typically obtain a Wildcard the week before classes start. 

Students enrolled part-time or in TGS 512 will not be eligible for a U-Pass. Should you have any questions, please see the U-Pass FAQs page or contact

 U-Pass FAQs