Skip to main content


In addition to University assistance, students may explore other opportunities as described below. Please note: PhD students are expected to be full-time students, and should not pursue full-time work. Any outside employment needs to be approved via the permission to work process.

Employment at Northwestern University

Positions as residence hall assistants or residence hall coordinators are available for qualified graduate students. Learn more at the Office of University Residential Life.

The 11 undergraduate residential colleges at Northwestern University offer select graduate positions as college associates and assistant chairs. Students may serve as assistant chairs while holding University fellowships or teaching assistantships. Learn more from the Office of Residential Academic Initiatives. 

Part-time positions are available with the various Northwestern University offices. Learn more from Human Resources

Employment outside the University

Students who are ready to graduate may also obtain placement assistance for employment outside the University through Northwestern Career Advancement (NCA).