Newly Admitted Students

The following resources and information may be helpful to enrolling students. Contact The Graduate School (TGS) if you have additional questions.


Review our 2019 new student guide for key dates and deadlines for newly admitted students.

Loan Funds

Student loan funds are available to help finance educational costs. Only United States citizens or permanent residents of the United States are eligible to apply for federal loan funds. To apply, simply submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) available on the Federal Student Aid website.


For information on housing for graduate students, please refer to the Graduate Housing website. The on-campus housing application is available online, but requires a NetID login. If your NetID is not yet activated, please contact your department. More housing information and resources can be found on the TGS housing page.


Included in your admission letter (at the bottom of the page) is your seven digit EmplID. Your EmplID is often referred to as your “Student ID Number.” You may be asked to include your EmplID on housing, health record, or other University forms. Your EmplID will remain with you throughout your tenure at Northwestern University.


Northwestern Student ID cards are called “Wildcards”. Your Wildcard will allow you to enter university facilities and utilize various services around campus. New students typically obtain a Wildcard the week before classes start. To expedite the process, the Wildcard Office allows you to submit a photo in advance. See the Wildcard website for more information.

Library Access

You will be able to borrow library materials once you enroll in classes. Please see the library's website for further information about services for graduate students.

Changing Personal Information

If there has been or will be any changes to your personal information (address, phone, etc.) since you submitted your online application, you will have the opportunity to update your information in CAESAR once you begin your study at Northwestern. Formal name changes are processed by the Registrar's Office.