Doctoral Student Opportunities in the Undergraduate Residential Experience for 2019-20 Academic Year
Do you enjoy working with undergraduates? Are you interested in a rewarding employment opportunity on campus? The Office of Residential Academic Initiatives anticipates several openings for doctoral students during the 2019-20 academic year…
Doctoral students who previously served in these roles were most enthusiastic about how this experience helped them:
- understand and work with undergraduates
- network with colleagues and faculty from different schools/fields
- improve their ability to teach
- provide a supportive community outside of their department
- improve their organizational effectiveness
Openings are available in two different positions:
- Residential College Assistant Chair, which centers on engagement with undergraduate students and advising student leaders in one of Northwestern’s residential colleges.
- Graduate Assistant to the Faculty-in-Residence, which involves engagement with undergraduate students but focuses on providing programmatic support to a live-in faculty member in one of Northwestern’s residential communities.
In addition to an annual stipend (currently $11,164.00 for Assistant Chairs and $10,000 for Graduate Assistants, allocated through monthly paychecks, September-June inclusively), employed doctoral students have access to a provided campus office and computer. They also have access to meals with their affiliated residential college or residential community during academic sessions.
Informational sessions on these appointments will be held on the Evanston Campus. All sessions will take place in the Norris University Center (1999 Campus Drive, Evanston, IL 60208). Interested doctoral students are strongly encouraged to attend one of these informational sessions:
- Monday, April 8, 5:00 - 6:00 PM, Chicago Room 103
- Thursday, April 11, 12:00 - 1:00 PM, Chicago Room 103
- Tuesday, April 16, 5:00 - 6:00 PM, Chicago Room 103
- Wednesday, April 17, 1:00 - 2:00 PM, Chicago Room 103
- Tuesday, April 23, 1:00 - 2:00 PM, Scholars Room 204
- Tuesday, April 23, 5:00 - 6:00 PM, Scholars Room 204
More information about each position and application processes are available through the following links:
All applications must be received electronically by 4:00 PM on Thursday, April 25.
Additional questions? Contact the Office of Residential Academic Initiatives for more information. For the Assistant Chair or Graduate Assistant position, call or email Nancy Anderson, Associate Director (847.491.2233).