Applications Now Open for Emerging Engagement Scholars Workshop
The Emerging Engagement Scholars Workshop is an intensive professional development program that provides advanced doctoral students and early career faculty with background literature, facilitated discussion, mentoring, and presentations designed to increase their knowledge and enhance their practice of community-engaged scholarship. Participation is limited, and interested applicants must be nominated by their faculty advisor/mentor or department chairperson. This year’s workshop will take place October 6-7 in Denver, Colorado. Please apply by Monday, April 15.
Applicants for This Program Should Be:
Doctoral students or junior faculty members with an interest in community engagement and engaged scholarship, and/or who are involved or interested in research that contributes to their discipline while making a positive impact on external stakeholders.
Applicants Must Also Demonstrate:
- A desire for new learning about engaged scholarship
- An interest in working with faculty across disciplines to explore and learn more about how engaged scholarship might be carried out
- The capacity to effectively communicate the results of their research to public, academic, and other external audiences
The application process for the Emerging Engagement Scholars Workshop is competitive with only 15-20 participants selected each year.
- Master classes on the foundations of community-engaged scholarship, and practical themes such as building an engagement dossier, etc.
- Critical reviews of participants’ proposals of community-engaged research projects
- Panel discussion with faculty, administrators and cooperative extension staff on disciplinary, institutional type, and community partner considerations for engaged scholarship
- Small group work with a designated faculty mentor (includes discussion about methods and theories, with a focus on each individual participant’s proposed engaged scholarship)
- Panel discussion with journal editors from peer-reviewed publications that publish engaged scholarship
- Panel discussion on the challenges, successes, and professional pathways related to engaged scholarship
Through the generous support of its Board of Directors, the Engagement Scholarship Consortium Conference provides registration scholarships to all Workshop participants so that they can take full advantage of the larger conference program.
Click here for more information and application materials.
Categories: Broad Interest