Summer Quarter TGS Activity Fee and U-Pass Access
Due to the ongoing pandemic, The Graduate School will not charge a Summer Quarter activity fee for full-time students and will not activate any U-Pass transit cards for the Summer Quarter unless you choose to opt in.
If you do not plan to use your U-Pass during the Summer Quarter, no further action is needed. Your U-Pass will be inactive, and you will not be charged the Summer Quarter activity fee.
Opting In for Summer Quarter
If you are a full-time student and plan to use your U-Pass during the Summer Quarter, please complete this opt-in form. We will activate your U-Pass, and a Summer Quarter activity fee of $125 will be applied to your student account. Please note, the Summer Quarter begins on Monday, June 21 and ends on Monday, September 20.
Depending on how often you plan to use your U-Pass during the Summer Quarter, it may be more affordable to pay the activity fee of $125 for continuous service or to pay out of pocket. Please refer to the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) fare chart to help make the decision that is best for you. Please also visit the CTA Coronavirus webpage to read more about their safety measures and additional tips for riders.
- If you already have a U-Pass and choose to opt in, your Summer Quarter U-Pass benefits will be activated on Monday, June 21 (or on the next business day after you opt in).
- If you do not already have a U-Pass and choose to opt in, one will need to be issued:
- New U-Pass cards can take up to 2 weeks to create. To ensure that you receive your U-Pass on time, please ensure that your photo has been submitted to the Wildcard Office by Friday, June 4, and that your current address is up to date in CAESAR, then fill in the opt-in form.
- You will then be provided the option to have your U-Pass card mailed to you or to pick up your card by appointment at The Graduate School's Evanston office located in the Rebecca Crown Center.
- If you choose to pick up your card, appointments will begin on Monday, June 14.
- Once you receive your U-Pass, you will need to activate it by following the instructions on the accompanying card sleeve.
- In order for your U-Pass to be activated at the start of Summer Quarter on Monday, June 21, please complete the opt-in form by Tuesday, June 8. Students with active Spring Quarter U-Passes are encouraged to opt in by June 8 to avoid any interruption in their U-Pass service.
- If you are unsure of your Summer Quarter plans, you may opt in any time before Friday, July 16, but your U-Pass will not be active until the next business day after you complete the form.
- Once you choose to opt in and your U-Pass has been activated, you will not be able to change your decision due to our contractual obligations with the CTA/Ventra. In addition, per our contract, we will not be able to honor any new U-Pass activation requests for the Summer Quarter after Friday, July 16.
Students enrolled in the Online Master of Arts in Counseling Program through The Family Institute, TGS 512 (continuous registration), TGS 514, or a co-op internship are not charged an activity fee and are not eligible for the services it provides.
Activity Fee Waivers
If you previously applied for and/or were approved for an activity fee waiver for the Summer Quarter, opting in for the U-Pass will supersede the waiver, and you will be charged the activity fee. Otherwise, you do not need to submit an activity fee waiver request since TGS is only charging an activity fee for the Summer Quarter to those who are using their U-Pass.
All TGS eligible students will retain access to TGS Legal Services, which is also covered by the quarterly activity fee.
Please email email@example.com with any questions.
Lauren-Ashley Buchanan, PhD
Associate Director, Student Life
The Graduate School