Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP)
June 21-August 6, 2020
The Summer Research Opportunity Program (SROP) is an eight-week competitive research experience at Northwestern University for sophomores and juniors from colleges and universities across the United States. All fields of research at Northwestern are open to SROP participants including the social sciences and humanities, physical sciences, chemical and biological sciences, technology, math and engineering fields. See guidelines for SROP students and faculty mentors.
Each student chosen to participate in the SROP will receive:
- A $4500 stipend
- Round trip travel to Northwestern
- University housing (single rooms)
- A meal subsidy of $200 (not intended to cover all meals)
To be considered for acceptance into SROP, you must:
- Be a current sophomore or junior.
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.3 on a 4.0 scale.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
- Have an interest in pursuing a doctoral degree (PhD) at Northwestern University. Those interested in pursuing an MBA, JD, or MD are not eligible.
Those belonging to groups that have been traditionally underrepresented in graduate education (e.g., certain racial and ethnic minorities, women in STEM, first-generation college students, etc.) are encouraged to apply to participate.
Early Admission Decision Program
Rising seniors who demonstrate that they have the potential to succeed in a Northwestern PhD program may be invited to participate in the Early Admission Decision Program. This program enables prospective students to apply by October 1, participate in interviews without submitting GRE scores, and renders an admission decision by November 1.
2019 SROP cohort
- Miriam Bautista
- Juan Carlos Becerra
- Myles Kobe Bowen
- Stephanie Castelin
- Rozahnea Charles
- Carmen Crusoe
- Bernardo Duarte
- Kourtney Ellis
- Jordan Louis Gurneau
- Diamond Jones
- Jaylan D. Jones
- Gregory Keslin
- Valeria Londoño
- Cristian Daniel Martinez-Ramos
- Jade Marcum
- María de los M. Méndez Santos
- Spencer Alexandria Nabors
- Shawn Ohazuruike
- Sabrina Sanchez
- Raven Schwam-Curtis
- Hannah Simmons
- Danya Soto
- Marquis Taylor
- Gabriel E. Torres
- Janelle Yanez