To apply for admission, you must submit an application fee by credit card only. The application fee is $95 and is not refundable.
Application fee waivers
*December 23rd, 2019: We are approaching the limit on the number of application fee waivers that we can provide to applicants during this application cycle. Once we reach that limit, we will be unable to provide application fee waivers. Due to the varying timing of application deadlines and submissions, it is possible that we have already or will have run out of fee waivers before you submit your application..
The Graduate School (TGS) provides fee waivers on a first-come, first serve basis* to eligible applicants who meet the following criteria:
- Intent to apply for a TGS PhD or MFA program
- US citizenship or permanent residency
- An overall undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 out of 4.0
- Identification as at least one of the following:
- A first-generation college student (neither your parents nor your grandparents has obtained a four-year degree)
- A low-income individual as defined by the US Department of Education
- Participation in any of the following programs:
- Graduate Horizons for Native American Students
- Big Ten Alliance (SROP Program)
- Fisk to Vanderbilt Bridge Program
- National Consortium for Graduate Degrees for Minorities in Engineering and Sciences (GEM)
- HSI Pathways Fellows
- Institute for Recruitment of Teachers (IRT)
- Introduction to Diversity in Doctoral Education and Scholarship (IDDEAS)
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Research Fellowship (MMUF)
- Northwestern Introduction to Graduate Education (IGEN)
- Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- Ronald E. McNair Scholars
- The PhD Project
- A veteran or current member of the US Armed Forces
*December 23rd, 2019: We are approaching the limit on the number of application fee waivers that we can provide to applicants during this application cycle. Once we reach that limit, we will be unable to provide application fee waivers. Due to the varying timing of application deadlines and submissions, it is possible that we have already or will have run out of fee waivers before you submit your application.
Steps to take in our application form (if eligible):
- On the Background Information page (page 5), select "Yes" to the question, "Would you like to be considered for an application fee waiver?"
- This question is only viewable to applicants who meet the first three criteria listed above
- Finalize your application
- Once you click "Submit" on your application, you will automatically bypass the payment page, unless you are an eligible fee waiver recipient as a low-income individual
- For low-income eligible individuals: On the payment page, select “Request a Fee Waiver for Low-Income Individuals”. Click on "Continue". This will bring you to a page entitled “Application for Graduate Admission”
- Complete the form and click on the “Apply for Waiver” button
You will be notified via email within three business days if your request was approved or denied. If your fee waiver request is denied, you will be required to return to the application to submit payment information.