Below are the procedures and requirements to nominate an outstanding graduate faculty member or non-faculty staff member for a Ver Steeg Award.
Graduate faculty procedures
All members of the graduate faculty, including emeriti, at Northwestern University who work with TGS master’s and/or PhD students are eligible to be nominated for this award. Nominees are evaluated for the quality of the guidance and mentoring they provide to TGS students, as well as their exceptional contributions to graduate education. This may include:
- Organizing and providing a supportive environment for research and scholarship, including teaching and modeling ethical and responsible conduct, careful advising, and instruction in teaching
- Enhancing students’ academic and professional skills in presenting, writing and publishing, and in preparing fellowship applications and grants
- Sponsoring students’ entry into the academic and professional community of the discipline
- Guiding students in administrative, organizational, and professional matters
- Helping students achieve postdoctoral and career placement and professional successes
- Serving as a role model in successfully mentoring and training TGS students to effectively supervise and mentor others
Non-faculty staff procedures
All Northwestern University staff members who work with TGS master’s and/or PhD students are eligible for this award. Staff nominees are evaluated for consistent and outstanding academic and administrative support of TGS students. This may include:
- Fostering a departmental climate of support
- Contributing to innovative programs
- Exceptional customer service
- Supporting TGS students in their academic, professional, and personal development
Check back soon for the 2020 Ver Steeg Award nomination form!