Dependent Care Professional Development Grant
The Dependent Care Professional Development Grant provides funds to assist PhD and MFA students with dependents in order to participate, as fully as possible, in professional meetings, conferences, workshops, research-related travel, and professional development opportunities, such as networking events, invited speakers, and panel discussions.
The Dependent Care Professional Development Grant is awarded on a rolling basis throughout the academic year, September 1 – August 31, or until all available funds have been awarded. Students must apply in advance of the event, but no more than 3 months in advance. A retroactive request will not be approved after an event. The earlier an application is received, the sooner the application can be reviewed and processed.
Students in The Graduate School who are active and enrolled in a PhD or MFA program and who have one or more dependents may apply for a grant. Qualifying dependents include:
- A child under 18 who is in your custody;
- A dependent who lives with you, such as an adult child, a parent, sibling, or in-law who is incapable of self-care* and whom you claim as a dependent on your tax return; and/or
- A spouse/partner who is incapable of self-care*.
*Refers to individuals who are physically or mentally incapable of self-care activities (e.g., hygiene, nutritional needs), or who require full-time attention of another person for the individual's own safety or the safety of others.
The Dependent Care Professional Development Grant can cover the cost of:
- Additional dependent care at home
- Onsite dependent care
- Transportation of a dependent and/or caregiver
- Other eligible, dependent care-related expenses (questions about eligible expenses can be directed to email@example.com)
when students are participating in activities including:
- Professional meetings, conferences, and/or workshops
- Professional development programs, such as networking events, invited speaking events, dissertation boot camps, panel discussions, etc.
- Travel to visit to archives, perform fieldwork, and/or other non-regular travel related to research
Eligible students may receive up to $750 per academic year (September 1– August 31), either in a single award or multiple awards that total $750. Dependent Care Grants are provided as stipend supplements included in a student’s monthly pay.
To apply for the grant, students must complete the online Dependent Care Grant application in advance of the intended travel or event date.
This grant is considered a separate grant from the Conference Travel Grant. Students may apply for both grants simultaneously.
Students will receive notice of a decision within 1-2 weeks after receipt of their application.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.