Commencement & TGS Hooding Ceremony
Please see below for important dates & information regarding the 2022 Commencement & TGS Hooding Ceremonies. We will continue to update this webpage as details become available.
Commencement is open to all Northwestern graduates. It is a University-wide ceremony where graduates are commemorated as a whole. During the ceremony, student, faculty, and guest speakers address graduates and their families.
The 2022 Commencement ceremony will take place on Monday, June 13, 2022 at 9:00 AM CDT. Please refer to the University Commencement website for details.
In addition to the University Commencement ceremony, each Northwestern school and The Family Institute host a ceremony or ceremonies for graduates.
Students who wish to participate in the University Commencement, a school ceremony, or both should pay careful attention to all deadline announcements as they are made closer to the ceremonies.
TGS PhD and MFA Hooding Ceremony
The Graduate School will host an in-person PhD and MFA hooding ceremony on Saturday, June 11 at 2:00 PM CDT in Ryan Fieldhouse following all University and public health guidelines. This hooding ceremony formally recognizes participating graduates as members of the academic community.
This annual ceremony is open to all PhD and MFA graduates of TGS programs that are in partnership with the following schools:
- The Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences
- The Kellogg School of Management
- The School of Communication
- The Feinberg School of Medicine
- The Graduate School Interdisciplinary Programs
2021–22 PhD and MFA graduates—Summer (September) 2021 through Spring (June) 2022—are invited to attend this year's hooding ceremony.
In order to participate in the 2022 PhD and MFA Hooding Ceremony, your PhD or MFA must be conferred in September 2021, December 2021, March 2022, or June 2022.
Please note that Summer (September) 2022 graduates are not eligible to participate in this year’s hooding ceremony. If you will graduate in September 2022, you will be invited to participate in the 2022–23 PhD and MFA Hooding Ceremony, which will be held in June 2023.
Intent to Participate Form
Starting in late March, The Graduate School will email an Intent to Participate form to eligible PhD and MFA graduates who complete all degree requirements. This form must be submitted on or before Friday, May 6, 2022 to participate in the 2022 hooding ceremony. Late submissions cannot be considered.
Pending any changes in public health guidance, we plan to return to our traditional hooding format this year. Each participating PhD and MFA graduate will invite a current Northwestern graduate faculty member to perform their hooding. This may be your adviser, another faculty member from your program, or a TGS associate dean. Please confirm the faculty member’s availability with them prior to listing them as your designated hooder on the Intent to Participate Form.
The hooding ceremony is a special recognition ceremony for PhD and MFA degree candidates during which a Northwestern graduate faculty member places the doctoral hood over the head of each graduate, signifying the graduate’s success in fully completing the graduate program and welcoming them to the academy of scholars.
Regalia is required to participate in the hooding ceremony. The deadline to order regalia is Wednesday, May 4. Please visit the regalia page of the Commencement website to find the ordering link, along with guidelines and further details.
- MFA graduates will purchase the master’s package, which includes a cap, gown, tassel with signet, and hood. This regalia may be picked up at the Norris Bookstore or shipped to you for an additional fee. It is yours to keep.
- PhD graduates will rent the doctoral package, which includes a tam, gown, tassel with signet, and hood. There also is an option to purchase fine-quality doctoral regalia. All doctoral rental regalia must be picked up in person at the Norris Bookstore. It cannot be shipped to you. Rental regalia must be returned after the hooding ceremony or the main Commencement ceremony. (All rental pieces must be returned except for the tassel.)
- No additional accessories are required to participate in the hooding ceremony. (Note, the stole option listed on the regalia website is worn by bachelor’s degree recipients in lieu of a hood.)
- For graduate students with financial need, please email the Commencement Office for information about the application process. All applications must be finalized by Wednesday, May 4.
Tickets are required to attend all Northwestern graduation ceremonies. Each participating graduate will automatically receive 10 guest tickets to the hooding ceremony. The link to request tickets will be sent to those graduates who express their intent to participate through our Intent to Participate Form below. Guests without tickets will not be permitted to enter the ceremony venue.
The hooding ceremony will be livestreamed for those who are unable to attend in person. We will provide more details by early June.
Please email TGS Events & Engagement Manager Anthony Mangini at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Partner School PhD Ceremonies
PhD students who graduate from TGS programs that are in partnership with the School of Education and Social Policy (SESP), the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science, and the Henry and Leigh Bienen School of Music are invited to participate in the respective partner school's ceremony instead of The Graduate School's ceremony.
P lease contact your school representative below for additional details about convocation ceremonies for these partner schools:
- Bienen School of Music: Linda Jacobs - email@example.com
- McCormick School of Engineering: firstname.lastname@example.org
- School of Education and Social Policy: Ken Powers - email@example.com and Jasmine Tucker - firstname.lastname@example.org
Partner School MA, MS, and MPH Ceremonies
TGS Master of Arts (MA), Master of Science (MS), and Master of Public Health (MPH) graduates should check with their departments regarding any partner school ceremonies.
The Family Institute Ceremonies
Graduates from the Master of Arts in Counseling and Master of Science in Marriage and Family Therapy should contact Kristen Catuara, Assistant Director for Administration at The Family Institute, at email@example.com with any questions about their ceremony.
Last Updated: April 1, 2022