Northwestern University cares about its students, particularly when traveling internationally for university-sponsored activities. In order to provide the best service, all graduate and professional students are required to register their travel with the Office of Global Safety and Security (OGSS).
International Travel Registry
Students planning international university-affiliated travel (e.g., conference attendance, research, field studies, performance, competition) are required to register their international travel in Northwestern’s International Travel Registry. The travel registry provides travelers with important health and safety resources prior to departure and allows Northwestern to communicate with travelers while abroad.
**Domestic and personal travel does not need to be registered with OGSS. Students who are fully funded by external scholarships and who will not receive any Northwestern financial support (such as a fellowship or grant, stipend top-off, or supplement) during their time abroad are not required but are encouraged to register their travel. Learn more here.
Students traveling internationally should review the information posted on the Office of Global Safety and Security’s website, including:
- Advice for travelers with pre-existing health conditions
- Enrollment link for GeoBlue health insurance coverage [required] during travel
- Information related to sexual misconduct abroad
- Specific resources for optimal travel health, safety, and security
- Emergency messages and alerts for travelers
- Security information resources to register for travel security alerts