Skip to main content

Transportation and U-Pass

Getting around

Northwestern has a service to help you navigate campus safely: the Northwestern Help App's Safewalk feature.

In addition to walking or driving to Northwestern, there are several transportation options available to TGS students:


The Graduate School (TGS) and Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) provide the CTA University Pass (U-Pass) to full-time graduate students through a quarterly TGS Activity Fee. The CTA U-Pass program uses fare cards called Ventra, a contactless payment system that serves as a U-Pass. Benefits of this system include:

Note: New students must submit a valid photo to the Wildcard Office in order to receive a U-Pass. New students typically obtain a Wildcard the week before classes start. 

Students enrolled part-time or in TGS 512 will not be eligible for a U-Pass. Should you have any questions, please see the U-Pass FAQs page or contact

 U-Pass FAQs