If you were recently admitted to a doctoral program in The Graduate School (TGS), review the steps and procedures below.
1) View Your Electronic Admission Decision
If you have not done so already, please view your admission decision via the online application.
When you login to the online application, you will now notice a "View Your Decision Letter" button. By clicking the "View Your Decision Letter" button, you will automatically be taken to your electronic decision letter. which contains important information regarding enrollment decision deadlines and the link to submit your enrollment decision.
2) Submit Your Enrollment Decision Online
Please let us know if you are accepting or declining our admission offer by submitting your enrollment decision via the online application. Your enrollment decision must be entered by the enrollment deadline stated in your virtual admission letter. Late enrollment decisions may not be accepted. Once submitted, enrollment decisions may not be changed.
It is important to note that by accepting our offer of admission, you are also accepting any financial award offered to you by Northwestern University. Before accepting or declining your offer of admission, please consult the Regulations Governing University Assistance page to make sure you do not have any conflicts with this information.
If You Intend to Enroll at Northwestern University:
3) Mail Your Official Transcripts
Please keep in mind that transcripts uploaded onto your online application are not official documents. Therefore, you are required to submit one official hard copy of each of your transcripts to the TGS Admission Office.
- Official transcripts must be sent directly from the issuing institution’s Registrar (either mailed in sealed envelopes or emailed as official, electronic transcripts) to: Northwestern University, The Graduate School, Office of Graduate Admission, 633 Clark Street, Evanston, IL 60208-1113; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Emailed transcripts must be sent from the issuing institution via a password protected, e-transcript delivery service. Please check with your institution’s Registrar's Office to see if they offer an e-transcript service.
- Please do not submit your official transcripts until all degrees you will earn prior to enrolling at Northwestern University are listed. Verifying the completion of your previous degrees is an important step in our transcript collection process.
- New students will not be permitted to register for their second quarter of study at Northwestern until all official transcripts (including degree-awarding transcripts) have been received by TGS.
4) Submit Your Health Record Information
All new full-time and half-time students must visit the Northwestern University Health Service (NUHS) website to review information relating to University and State of Illinois health requirements, and download the required entrance health form. There are deadlines associated with these requirements (listed on the NUHS website).
5) Notify TGS of External Funding (if applicable)
If you have accepted funding by a source other than Northwestern University (NSF, Ford Foundation, VEF, etc.), you must notify TGS’s Financial Aid staff via email prior to your first quarter of enrollment. If necessary, TGS will make appropriate adjustments to your TGS financial package.
6) Submit Your Visa Request (international students only)
For international students whose NetIDs are activated, please click here for the International Office website to download visas and forms information. To submit an I-20 request, please click here for the International Office’s Plan Your Trip web page and follow the directions to complete the process.
Please note, if you have been admitted to the Fall Quarter you must submit your I-20/DS-2019 Request no later than June 1, 2016. This includes doctoral students participating in the International Summer Institute.
For all questions regarding choosing the proper visa, or errors in your visa document, please contact the International Office via email at email@example.com or phone at 847-491-5613.
7) Obtain a Tax Identification Number (international students only)
Nonresidents who will receive stipends from a fellowship, but will not be employed in any other way (such as a graduate assistantship or temporary employment), will not be eligible for a SSN and must complete a Form W-7, Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). The W-7 will be collected as part of the Foreign National Information System (FNIS) process through Payroll. If an ITIN is not obtained by NU, you will apply for the ITIN when filing your U.S. tax return.
You may use your Tax Identification Number to acquire a US bank account via Bank One, US Bank, or Citibank. Additionally, you may use this number to obtain a US cellular phone via University Mobile or ZeeZoo.
8) Activate Your NetID and Email
Doctoral enrollees receive NetID and email account information several weeks after declaring intent to enroll. Your NetID will be used to access the student services system (CAESAR), your email and other university systems.
If you do not receive your NetID prior to the start of classes, you may obtain it by visiting an NUIT Support Center with your Wildcard (student ID card). The NUIT Support Center will not release NetID data over the phone or via email. More information is available at the NUIT website.
9) Enter Emergency Notification Phone Numbers
You must identify at least one phone number in CAESAR that the University can use to contact you in the event of a campus emergency. You must provide this information before you can register for classes.
10) Register for Classes
All students register online through CAESAR. Registration for new students usually occurs a few days before the start of classes. The registration schedule is available via the Registrar’s Office website. Registration help is available from a link on the CAESAR login page or via the CAESAR Support Line at 847-467-0260.
FAQ - Doctoral Enrollment
Q: What is the typical stipend for doctoral students?
A: TGS offers a base stipend rate of at least $29,880 for 12 months.