To apply for admission, you must submit an application fee by credit card only. The application fee is $95 and is not refundable.
Please be aware that paying the application fee is not the final step in the online application process. Once you provide your credit card payment, the application will direct you to the final “Signature Page" of the online application. It is only when you click “Submit” on the “Signature Page” that your application will be submitted.
FAQs - Application Fee
Q. Do you offer application fee waivers?
A: The Graduate School (TGS) participates in the Committee on Institutional Cooperation’s (CIC) FreeApp Program, which is designed to enable eligible applicants to apply to The Graduate School at Northwestern University and other CIC member schools without paying an application fee.
CIC FreeApp Program waivers are reserved for applicants to TGS PhD and MFA programs. In order to qualify, applicants must meet all CIC FreeApp Eligibility requirements as well as our institutional criteria, listed below:
- US citizenship or permanent residency (criteria required by CIC)
- An overall undergraduate GPA of at least 3.3 out of 4.0
- Identification as at least one of the following:
- A first-generation college student (neither your parents nor your grandparents has obtained a four-year degree)
- A low-income individual as defined by the US Department of Education
- A veteran or current member of the US Armed Forces
The number of waivers issued each year is limited, and all waivers are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. Unfortunately, fee waivers are no longer available for Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall 2016 applications. We will begin to review requests for application waivers for 2017 applications in September 2016. (Please note that any requests made before August 2016 will not be considered.)