Training Grant Funding Information
The TGS Training Grant Support Office (TGSO) provides support and assistance to faculty who are submitting training grants.
- All requests for training grants supporting graduate students are routed through the TGSO at the time of proposal development.
- Training Grant PI teams provide requests to the TGSO via the TGSO budget worksheet.
- TGSO facilitates the request of this funding by partnering with TGS Finance team in order to secure a commitment for the proposed grant project period.
- For training grants supporting graduate students, tuition scholarships to fund the balance of predoctoral tuition not provided by the training grant are covered by TGS and are budgeted in each school’s TGS allocation.
- Tuition scholarships for training grants will be included in the TGS budget at the proposal stage.
- These scholarships no longer need to be requested in advance via a tuition request form.
- The scholarships are essentially equivalent to the RAS scholarships that would have been provided to students funded on research grants, and thus do not result in “new” expense to TGS or the schools.
- Requests for additional funded affiliate trainee fellowship slots are rare on training grants, however when they are requested, they may result in new expense to TGS/School budgets.
- In general, the balance of predoctoral stipend (i.e. stipend supplement or stipend top-up) is the responsibility of the student’s adviser or the adviser’s home school unless other agreements are in place.
- In cases where funded affiliate slots are requested, this support will not be considered final until it is approved by TGS and the school(s) (Associate Deans).
- It is now standard TGS practice to require that these slots be used to increase diversity in the program.
- Deans should recognize that this new funding is coming out of their allocations.
- Resource requests for new funds (affiliate slots) required to support training grants will be centrally calculated and submitted by TGS. Once received, the new funds will then be allocated into each school’s annual allocation from TGS based on the expense patterns and which programs are involved in the new request.