Postdoctoral Fellows

Individuals with recently granted degrees of Ph.D. or M.D. (or the equivalent terminal degree) who are primarily involved in continuing post graduate education or training in conducting research. Postdoctoral fellows are normally paid through the University payroll system and are employees of the University.  Postdoctoral fellow appointments should be for a minimum of one year.  For questions on Postdoctoral Fellow appointments, please contact the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.

Visiting Postdoctoral Fellows

Individuals with recently granted degrees of Ph.D., M.D. or the equivalent professional degree. Visiting postdoctoral fellows are not employees of the University. They receive their funding directly from an external agency and/or hold a postdoctoral appointment at another institution. (Visiting status is only approved upon documented external support.) They may be appointed for a period not to exceed one year.

NRSA Postdoctoral Fellows

Recipients of National Research Service Awards (NRSA) from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) — both those receiving grants as individuals (F-32) and those participating in institutional grants (T-32). As provided by the terms of the award, NRSA Postdoctoral Fellows are considered to be trainees rather than employees of NIH or of the University. The status required by NRSA determines the availability of benefits, as described in the document Benefits, Tax, and Other Policy Provisions for Postdoctoral National Research Service Awards issued by the Department of Human Resources. Additional information including current stipend scales and revised parental leave policy is also maintained on web pages of the Training Grants Office of The Graduate School.

For postdoctoral appointments that necessitate selection of Postdoctoral Fellow — Dept. of Education, Ralph Boas Assistant Professor, Mellon Postdoctoral Fellow, Visiting Assistant Professor or Research Affiliates  (for example Howard Hughes Medical Institute research affiliate postdoctoral fellows) job titles, please contact the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs for advice on selecting the appropriate appointment category.