SROP Research Guidelines
Expectations for participating students
SROP participants must be prepared to make a full-time commitment to their research. Participants are expected to:
- Participate in the program for the full period, June 20 – August 5, 2022.
- Have access to the internet and a computer/tablet since Northwestern’s virtual 2022 SROP will rely on online resources for all communication and activities.
- Contact their faculty mentor prior to June 2022 to discuss their research project and identify reading materials that will prepare the participant to begin working on the research project on the first day of the program.
- Complete a minimum of 40 hours per week on their research projects.
- Attend all virtual activities and meetings published in the SROP calendar.
- Complete all assignments listed in the SROP calendar by the corresponding deadlines.
- Attend and present at the culminating virtual research symposium on August 5, 2022.
- Maintain professionalism throughout the program duration.
Expectations for faculty mentors
- Help design and monitor the full-time research project for their student.
- Work with the student on an abstract, outline, rough draft, and final paper based on the research.
- Work with the student on an oral or poster presentation in preparation for the SROP Research Forum.
- Permit time in the student's research schedule for meetings required of all SROP participants.
- Provide a detailed evaluation of the student's performance at the mid-point and end of the program.