CFL Seeking Postdoctoral Trainee
The Center for Leadership (CFL) at Northwestern University invites applications for a postdoctoral trainee. The successful applicant will support CFL's mission to help students and faculty understand the nature of leadership and teamwork, preparing people to become leaders on campus, in the community, and in their professions. The Center is part of the Office of the Provost, with academic programs are offered through the McCormick School of Engineering & Applied Science.
This postdoctoral opportunity is ideal for those interested in pursuing an academic career (including administration) in leadership studies, management, teamwork, or a related field. CFL will provide experience in curricular development and instruction, guidance and support for research projects, and mentoring for career development. (Note that CFL is a teaching and research center and is not in the Office of Student Affairs).
About the Center for Leadership (CFL)
CFL is distinguished by the diversity and range of whom we serve and by our emphasis on partnering with other academic programs. They work with students and faculty at all levels across Northwestern's Chicago and Evanston-based schools and colleges. CFL's offerings include academic courses and programs, curricular support and program design, coaching and coach training, and mentor training and support.
CFL approaches the development of leadership at all levels by first engaging in dialogue so that we can tailor our approach to the people being served and the context of their work. Using a diversity of resources and practices, we then collaborate with leaders to assess strengths and challenges, increase self-awareness and agility, and maximize their performance as well as the ways in which they work with others. Our goal is to help each person become the leader who they are uniquely designed to be.
CFL's work is also informed by experimentation to advance the study and practice of leadership. We are committed to expanding access to overlooked and underserved populations, supporting Northwestern's goals for excellence and professional development among students and faculty. Our approach to leadership means that we are especially interested in candidates who support access and inclusion as part of their work.
- Provide instruction to undergraduate students in the Leadership Certificate program (four courses annually)
- Provide instruction and other support for the two-quarter Fellowship in Leadership program, which serves an interdisciplinary group of PhD students and postdocs from across the University
- Conduct research consistent with the Center's mission and priorities
- Contribute as a member of the Center's management team as curricula, academic materials, programs, and policies are designed, delivered and evaluated
- Performs other duties as assigned
- PhD or MD/PhD, have graduated within the last five years, or have received the degree(s) by the start of the position
- Written and verbal communication skills, organizational skills, ability to work as a team
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- PhD in leadership, management or a related field
- A strong record of peer-reviewed publications, including first authorship
- Previous teaching experience, research experience in both quantitative and qualitative methods, and/or experience in program evaluation; equivalent experience in industry is welcome
- Manage competing projects and programs, instruction demands, deadlines, and deliverables
To apply, please follow the link to Northwestern University's career website, Job ID 38356.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.