The Alumnae of Northwestern Request Proposals for Project Funding
The Alumnae of Northwestern University, founded in 1916, is a volunteer organization of 60 active members that serves the University and the community. Since 1931, the Alumnae has given over $8.5 million dollars to the University. In addition to those projects funded by the Grants program, other funds given to the University have included fellowships, scholarships, awards to faculty and students, as well as special University projects. Alumnae grant funds are raised through its Continuing Education program and the Waa-Mu Show Patron Program.
The Alumnae Grants Committee is issuing this REQUEST FOR PROPOSALS for support of projects not included in the University budget. Most awards are between $1,700 and $8,600, but occasionally larger grant requests also receive funding. The average amount of last year’s grant was about $6,000; the highest award was $13,240; the lowest award was $1,800. Proposals receiving full or partial funding (in no particular priority) have included but are not limited to: specialized equipment purchases, lectures or symposia, innovative curricula and programs, undergraduate research, student projects, and research underwriting and registration for academic conferences. In the past few years, The Alumnae has about $120,000 available for this funding opportunity.
NOTE: Proposals submitted should be typed and written for the “educated layperson.”
- A narrative describing the project
- Start and completion dates/timeline
- A DETAILED line-item budget
- A statement indicating whether partial funding will be acceptable if full funding is not possible and, if applicable, a minimum funding amount required and from where additional funding would be obtained
- A statement describing how a grant from The Alumnae of Northwestern University would be acknowledged or publicized
- If a student or student group applies, the faculty adviser must sign the proposal; by doing so, he or she indicates his or her willingness to accept responsibility for ensuring proper administration of the grant should it be awarded
- Grants to individual students must have a completion date that is prior to their graduation date
3. Grant recipients must submit a one-page final report to The Alumnae Grants Committee and to their appropriate Dean/Administrator within six weeks of completion of their project. The report must include:
- how the funds were used
- how the recipient accomplished the goals of the grant
- what impact the grant has had on the recipient(s) program
- how the Alumnae grant was acknowledged or publicized
4. Projects that cannot be completed as submitted must be given prior additional approval from The Alumnae Grants Committee before proceeding. Unused funds are to be returned to The Alumnae of Northwestern University. Funds will be processed through the University’s accounting office; processing the grant shall conform to the University’s policies and procedures. Northwestern chart string numbers for transferring funds must be provided. Please note that this grant is not subject to the University’s development fee.
Proposal submission information:
The deadline for receipt of the PROPOSAL is Thursday, January 31, 2019. This must be emailed or postmarked by the U.S. mail or other delivery services on or before January 31, 2019, in order to be considered. (No hand deliveries will be accepted.)
There will be no extension of the proposal due date.
Proposals should be sent to:
Alumnae of NU Grants Committee
1580 Sherman Ave. #304
Evanston, IL 60201
If a proposal is submitted by or for students/graduate students (those considered non-faculty), a faculty sponsor with name and contact information must be included along with the faculty sponsor’s signature
All proposals will be acknowledged within 15 days. If you fail to receive notification, please contact us. Please enable your computer to accept e-mails from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here to download the Project Proposal Form. Request for Proposals forms are also posted at nualumnae.org.