• Twitter()
  • Facebook()
  • Print this Story
  • Email this Story
Text Size AAA

Required: Update the 1095B forms to confirm insurance coverage for all enrollees

Modified: February 29, 2016

2015 was the first year health insurance providers are required to issue 1095B forms to confirm insurance coverage for all enrollees. Because Northwestern University does not use your social security number (SSN) as an identifier, unless you have already updated this information with Aetna Student Health, the SSN field on the 1095B form has been populated with your student ID by default. 

To correct your 1095B before this data is sent to the IRS for 2015 tax reporting purposes, please log into your Aetna Navigator account prior to March 1, 2016, by clicking on www.aetnanavigator.com and updating the SSN field with your SSN. (If you have not yet created an Aetna Navigator account, go to www.aetnastudenthealth, and click on the Members link at the top of the page. On the Member log-in screen, look for the First-time users option, and click Register Now. Register using your Member ID from your ASH Insurance ID card.) 

Once you have logged into Aetna Navigator, click on Your Profile (at the top). On the Your Profile screen, the last menu bar allows you to add or update your SSN securely. Make sure to save this change, then select Messages at the top of the screen. Under Letters and Communications, you should be able to print a copy of your revised 1095B immediately. (If you do not see your updated 1095B, please check back in 24 hours.)

If you have any difficulty updating your 1095B with your SSN, please contact Aetna Student Health customer service at 877-626-2314; they are available Monday-Friday, 7:30am-4:30pm Central time. Please be advised that they cannot take SSNs over the phone for privacy and security reasons, but they will be able to walk you through the process, as well as offer options to update your SSN by mail.

Download this PDF for a step-by-step guide through the process.

Please note that if you are an international student who is not filing taxes in the U.S., no action on your part is necessary.