• Twitter()
  • Facebook()
  • Print this Story
  • Email this Story
Text Size AAA

TGS Financial Aid Processing Information for Awards Starting After 9/1/2013

Modified: September 3, 2014

As a reminder, you must complete paper position/appointment forms for any stipend awards with item types beginning with 62 with a start date later than 9/1/2013. For example, if you have an award that begins on 6/1/14, you need to submit the paper form by Payroll’s stated deadlines in order for the student to be paid on 6/30/14. The interface only transmitted stipend awards that began on 9/1/13 and were continuous on the same chart string and at the same pay rate.

If you enter awards with stipend item types beginning with 61, TGS will be making the changes in FASIS. Therefore, if you make any additions, reductions and/or cancellations to such awards, please notify us at tgs-fa@northwestern.edu, indicating the student’s name, ID and transaction #, if applicable, in the subject line. Also indicate whether the funding was entered in the External Awards pages or the Smart pages.

Summer Quarter Deadlines for Award Entry in SES

The summer quarter 2013/14 deadline for entry of students’ awards in SES is Friday, May 16, 2014. We would like all awards for summer entered by that date. You must notify us at tgs-fa@northwestern.edu of any additions, changes, reductions and/or cancellations of stipend awards for item types beginning with 61 since we must complete the data entry in FASIS for those appointments. As stated above, for those stipend awards with item types beginning with 62, you must complete and submit a paper position/appointment form and/or, if you are deployed, change the funding in FASIS by Payroll’s stated deadlines.

Student Account Information

Invoices are generated on the 10th of each month so it is important to have tuition awards entered prior to that date so that appropriate credits or debits appear on students’ accounts. Please be advised that late fees ($200) will be applied beginning 5/8/14 and that summer quarter registration began on Monday, April 7, 2014. To facilitate your student’s registration, it would be beneficial to have tuition entries for spring quarter entered asap.

If students pre-register for summer, the summer quarter tuition will be charged beginning on June 1st and will appear on their 6/10/2014 invoice. In addition, it would be beneficial to have the summer quarter tuition entered on or before 6/7/14.

Please remind your students that if they want to view the most up-to-date account information, they need to access “View My Account” through CAESAR. “View E-Bill & E-Payment” in CAESAR only contains information from the last invoice.  If students have unpaid charges, they should review “View My Account” to determine amount owed before going to “View E-Bill and E-Payment” to make their payments. You may also review students’ accounts by going to NU Customer Account in SES. If you do not have access to this page, you may request it by going to http://ses.northwestern.edu/access.htm.  Go to Student System Authorization Forms and select Student Financials. Submit the completed form to Josie Ravara.

FICA Deadline for Summer Quarter Registration

Graduate students who are scheduled to receive pay on 06/30/2014 must register by 5PM on June 20, 2014 in order to avoid having Social Security/Medicare tax (FICA) deducted.  Only students who are being funded entirely or partially as graduate assistants, teaching assistants and research assistants are subject to FICA if they are not registered.

If registration occurs after 5 PM on June 20th and FICA tax is deducted, students should print out a copy of their confirmed registration from CAESAR. This registration receipt must be brought to the Payroll office where a refund of FICA tax will be processed within 60 days.

If a student is unable to obtain a copy of his/her confirmed registration from CAESAR, the Office of the Registrar should be contacted for assistance.

Social Security Numbers/ITINs for International Students

International students who are funded on fellowships need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). If international students are being appointed for the first time as a graduate or research assistant and currently do not have a Social Security Number, they must take their funding letter (provided by program—it must include information on nature of job and start date) to the International Office (IO).  They will then be given the application and authorization for release form to take to the appropriate Social Security Office (in Evanston – 2116 Green Bay Road; in Chicago – 77 W. Jackson Blvd, 3rdfloor). Please refer to http://www.northwestern.edu/hr/foreign-nationals/social-security-tax-id/index.html for additional information. When students receive their Social Security card, they must take it to the appropriate Payroll Office and to the Registrar’s Office so that their national ID will be updated.

E-Verify for New Appointees

Any student being hired now and in the future for the first time in FASIS must complete the Employment Eligibility Verification Form I-9. Appropriate documentation may be passport, or SS card or birth certificate along with picture ID (unless a nonresident). Students should complete section 1 online at https://northwestern.i9servicecenter.com/ and then provide documentation in your department or Payroll Office (either campus). The I-9 form should be fully completed within three days after the beginning of the appointment start date. Failure to complete the I-9 may result in students not getting paid.

Direct Deposit in FASIS

Direct deposit enrollment is required on a paper form which can be obtained athttp://www.northwestern.edu/hr/policies-forms/forms/direct-deposit/DirectDeposit.pdf The form must be submitted at least four days prior to the payroll confirmation. If the form is not submitted by the deadline a pay card will be issued. No paper checks are issued. The direct deposit enrollment cannot occur until an active appointment exists in FASIS.

Other Information

Students should update their address each year or whenever their address changes in SES through CAESAR and FASIS Self-Service

Students can view their paycheck stub online at https://nuhr.northwestern.edu/psp/hr91prod_ss/. They may also find all previous paystubs here.