Welcome to Northwestern University!
This page contains information and links to resources regarding orientations, the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (OPA), NU listservs and communications, Evanston, Chicago, housing, childcare, schools, healthcare as well as community and recreational activities.
NU New Employee Orientations
A schedule for the New Employee orientation and welcome reception is available on the NU HR website.
Visit the OPA
Northwestern University and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs (OPA) are happy that you have chosen NU for your postdoctoral training. If you have any questions or need extra help as you are settling into the NU community please contact Jennifer Hobbs, Ph.D., Director of the OPA, at email@example.com or 847-467-0827.
Communications from the OPA Listserv
Upon arrival at NU you will automatically be added to our Postdoctoral e-mail list so that you will receive regular e-mail updates from the OPA. You do not need to actively join any list in order to receive communications from the OPA. The OPA also utilizes a listserv to communicate event announcements and periodic updates to faculty members and staff that are involved in postdoctoral training and programming. If you would like to recommend the OPA listserv to other members of your department, program or center ask them to:
- Send a plain text e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do NOT put anything in the subject line of the e-mail
- In the body of the e-mail type using your first and last name to fill in the spots of “Firstname” and “Lastname”: SUBSCRIBE OPA-MEMBERS Firstname Lastname
Other NU Listservs
Northwestern University has a variety of groups and organizations that may be of interest to postdoctoral scholars. To find these various listservs and a brief description of the group please go to the NU Listserv Quick Reference Page to find directions and a link to login. You will need an NU NetID and password to access the NU Listserv page.
Evanston is a dynamic and diverse community that is home to Northwestern University. Evanston borders Chicago, along the northern shores of Lake Michigan.
- Living and Working in Evanston: www.cityofevanston.org
- Suburbs North of Evanston: www.visitchicagonorthshore.com
- Cost of Living Information: www.bestplaces.net/col/
Chicago is the third largest U.S. city, along the southwestern shores of Lake Michigan. Northwestern University’s Chicago Campus is located between the edge of lake Michigan and the famous "Magnificent Mile".
- Living and Working in Chicago: www.cityofchicago.org
- Chicago Neighborhoods: www.chicagoneighborhoods.cc
- Cost of Living Information: www.bestplaces.net/col/
A listing of local Real Estate Brokers for Chicago and Evanston is available through this NU HR webpage and includes information on mortgages resources and relevant contact information.
Additional Housing Resources
- The Chicago Tribune: http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/realestate/
- Pioneer Local Newspaper: www.pioneerlocal.com
- Craig’s List: http://chicago.craigslist.org
- ApartmentList.com: http://www.apartmentlist.com/il/chicago#map
- Chicago Reader: http://classifieds.chicagoreader.com/chicago/Results?section=oid%3A8/
- Chicago Apartment Finders: http://www.chicagoapartmentfinders.com/
- 1st-Chicago-Apartment-Rentals: http://www.1st-chicago-apartment-rentals.com/
- Sabbatical Homes: http://sabbaticalhomes.com/
- Extended Stay (Chicago): http://chicago-extended-stay.biz-stay.com/home.cfm
- The Seneca Hotel (Chicago): http://www.senecahotel.com/
- The Marriott Residence Inn, located at 201 E. Walton (Chicago): http://www.marriott.com/residence-inn/travel.mi
- The Homestead (Evanston): http://www.thehomestead.net
- The Hotel Orrington (Evanston): http://hotelorrington1-px.trvlclick.com/
- Oakwood (Evanston): http://www.oakwood.com (short term rentals)
Housing & Renting Basics for International Families
- http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/M-618.pdf (Pages 20-25)
- Hollander offers WildCard discounts: http://www.univsvcs.northwestern.edu/WildCARDAdv/businesses/hollander.htm
- Graebel offers more than 50% discount for NU faculty and staff: http://www.graebel.com/Public/
- Midwest Moving & Storage, Inc. offers WildCard discounts: http://www.univsvcs.northwestern.edu/WildCARDAdv/businesses/midwestmoving.htm
- Stevens Worldwide Van Lines offers more than 50% discount for NU faculty and staff: http://www.stevensworldwide.com/Home.aspx
Resources relevant to relocating family members is available at this NU HR webpage and includes information on childcare, school and healthcare.
NU has a priority enrollment arrangement with several childcare centers. More information is available from NU Office of Human Resources.
- Bright Horizons at Evanston, convenient to the Evanston campus.
- The McGaw YMCA Children’s Center (Evanston): http://www.mcgawymca.org/index.cfm?fa=chi.home
- Baby Toddler (Evanston): www.iwse.org
- The University Children’s Center (Chicago): http://www.cclc.com/center/il/university-childrens-center
- Harkness House for Children (Winnetka) http://www.harknesshouse.org/
- Chicago Schools: http://www.cps.edu/Pages/home.aspx
- Chicago Pre-Schools: http://www.savvysource.com/preschools/
- Evanston Schools: www.cityofevanston.org/about/education.shtml
- Evanston Pre-Schools: www.childcarenetworkofevanston.org
- GC HERC (The Greater Chicago Higher Education Recruitment Consortium): a resource for career opportunities at local academic institutions. http://www.gcherc.org/site/1684/members.cfm
Private Schools that offer a discount to Northwestern University Employees:
- Baker Demonstration School: www.bakerdemschool.org
- North Shore Country Day School: www.nscds.org (discount only for the upper school)
- Roycemore: www.roycemoreschool.org
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital www.nmh.org
- Lake Forest Hospital www.lfh.org
- Northshore University Health Systems www.northshore.org
- St. Francis Hospital www.saintfrancis.reshealth.org
Please take advantage of connecting to Northwestern and the surrounding community through a variety of resources.
Culture and Recreation
- Athletics: http://www.northwestern.edu/uservices/fitness/index.html
- Music: www.music.northwestern.edu/
- Restaurants: https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/career_employer/Travel_and_Hospitality/Restaurants.aspx
- Restaurants and Events in Evanston and Chicago: http://chicago.metromix.com/
- Theatre: http://www.communication.northwestern.edu/tic/
- The Block Museum: http://www.blockmuseum.northwestern.edu
- Office of Community Relations: http://www.northwestern.edu/communityrelations/
Professional and Social Organizations
- Association of Northwestern University Women (ANUW): http://www.northwestern.edu/anuw/
- The Gay and Lesbian University Union (GLUU): http://www.northwestern.edu/gluu/
- NU Staff Advisory Council (NUSAC): http://www.northwestern.edu/nusac/
- Organization of Women Faculty (OWF): http://owf.northwestern.edu/
- University Circle: http://www.northwestern.edu/university-circle/
- The Women’s Center: http://www.northwestern.edu/womencenter/