Hooding and Commencement Ceremonies
Degrees are awarded in December, March, June, and August. The University Commencement Ceremony and school hooding ceremonies take place only in June. December, March, and August graduates are encouraged to participate in the June ceremonies.
The University Commencement is open to all Northwestern graduate students.
Those receiving the MFA or PhD degree in Fall, Winter or Spring are invited to participate in a hooding ceremony that formally recognizes them as members of the academic community. Master of Arts, Master of Science, and Master of Public Health students should check with their departments for details on department convocations.
Students wishing to participate in either the commencement or hooding ceremony (or both) should pay careful attention to deadline announcements they receive, both from their program advisers and from The Graduate School. In addition to academic submissions, students must also be sure to rent academic regalia in time to participate.
Hooding Ceremonies for PhD and MFA Graduates:
- The Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences
- The Kellogg School of Management
- The School of Communication
- The Feinberg School of Medicine
- The Graduate School Interdisciplinary Programs
Students in TGS programs in partnership with the School of Education and Social Policy, the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, and the Henry and Leigh Bienen School of Music are invited to participate in the respective partner school's ceremony:
- Students in the School of Education & Social Policy, please see the SESP website.
- Students in McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, please see the McCormick instructions.
- Students in the Henry and Leigh Bienen School of Music, please check with the Office of Academic Affairs, Room 108 MAB, for information about the Hooding Ceremonies.